Last week, we learned that social activity is becoming mobilized. While nearly all social networkers may access sites from a desktop, the frequency of access on mobile devices is astounding. Knowing how often social media users visit networks on their mobile devices can definitely help shape winning social tactics.
• That is up 11% from last year
• 14% access on a weekly basis and 7% visit monthly
• 16% of smart phone owners have never accessed a social site from their device
• Social networkers who own have visited a site from a mobile device tend to be younger, have higher household incomes, are more likely to work in White-Collar occupations and have children in their household
What Does This Mean To You?
Mobile social networkers are very active in accessing social presences. Their demographics also suggest they make a great target audience for many different types of businesses. How do you get them to become more socially engaged with your business?
• Incorporate QR codes into your point of sale and other marketing material – Link that QR code to your social presence and provide an instant discount for “liking”, following or checking in
• Deliver mobile coupons to your followers
• Create presences on native mobile social sites – Develop Twitter feeds, promote Instagram tags & generate bvadges for FourSquare
• Engage users – This is important, don’t forget the social part of social media. When someone checks in, tweets or updates their state status indicating they are at your location – Recognize them and thank them for their patronage
Mobile & social are not things that are going away. Everyday more people are adopting mobile and engaging social networks. Adopting strategies and creating tactics to optimize and monetize these activities is a wise investment for the future. For more information on making more revenue with mobile and social functions, please contact your Orlando Sentinel Media Group representative or:
Advertising Research Manager
Source: eMarketer; Google; Ipsos; The 2012 Scarborough Report, Release 1