Last year, roughly 20% of smart phone owners used their device their holiday shopping. This year, the number of consumers planning to use their smart phones to help make holiday purchases is much greater. A new report is out that gives insight into how many consumers will be using their smart phones and the activities they will engage in.
• This holiday season, more than half of smart phone owners plan to research and purchase holiday gifts, decor and food items
• One-third of smart phone owners will compare prices and research holiday gifts via their device
• One in four smart phone owners will look up store hours and business locations
• Nearly 20% will use an app to research or purchase items
• 15% plan to complete a holiday purchase on their device
What Does This Mean To You?
Smart phones are one of shoppers most powerful tools. They are utilizing their devices in nearly every phase of the buying cycle. The key to having a successful mobile strategy hinges on convenience.
You need to make it as easy as possible for customers to find your location and contact you. In-store, using things like QR codes can aid in keeping “showrooming” to a minimum. Mobile coupons and text alerts are two other tools that engage mobile shoppers. Tomorrow, we’ll look at tablets and holiday shopping. For more information on how to make mobile a great source of holiday revenue, please contact your Orlando Sentinel Media Group representative or:
Advertising Research Manager
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; National Retail Federation