Many businesses are looking to target affluent shoppers, whether it’s because they sell exclusive merchandise or services or maybe just because they are thinking like famous bank robber Willie Sutton.
Legend has it that when asked why he robbed banks, Willie Sutton answered “Because that’s where the money is”
Targeting specific groups, like affluent shoppers, can improve the effectiveness and efficiency of you message. There is a study out that looked into the attitudes of affluents and found they are very similar to consumers in general.
Affluent Shopper are Value Conscious
- 78% believe that “when it comes to value, you get what you pay for”
- Only 18% said they buy on price, not value
Affluent Consumers Shop Online
- 62% say that online shopping offers convenience
- 33% state they would rather shop online versus a retail store
Affluent Customers are Strategic Shoppers
- 64% regularly read reviews before buying online
- Nearly 50% say that they check reviews before buying in-store
What Does This Mean To You?
Just because you may want to attract a high-end buyer doesn’t mean you can ignore their basic shopping sensibilities. Affluent shoppers, like the rest of us, are interested in getting a good value. They also have moved into the digital realm and look for the advice of other customers. Focusing on the value you can deliver to a customer is paramount in customer engagement. For more information on reaching affluent shoppers or any other target group, please contact your Orlando Sentinel Media Group representative or:
Advertising Research Supervisor
Source: Advertising Age; Ipsos